Monday, March 1, 2010

So THAT"S Why They Call It A Puck



During the USA/Canada hockey game, I became fascinated by the game. How does anyone ever keep up with what's going on?


That puck goes so fast and unpredictably I can't believe that anyone can even find it let alone hit it.


I noticed that it is the only sport where hitting it to the opponent wasn't a tragedy. As a matter of fact it happened more often than not.


They were spitters too. Just like baseball players. What is up with that? It looked like they were spitting little pieces of ice but I'm sure it was something else.


Plus there was some violent behavior but it didn't seem so bad when the players were dressed in so much padding. Actually, I love that about hockey--the fighting and slamming, I mean.


I only watched the last 4 minutes of the last period and the OT and I had a headache from keeping up with the action. When the Canadians scored the last goal and the announcer shouted that he scored all I could think was "He did?" Good thing they show the replays from different angles!


Not to be a traitor or anything, but I'm glad that the Canadians won. It seemed so important to them. The USA team should be proud too. A silver medal is nothing to sneeze at.


Anyway, all that said, I know why they call it a puck. You know Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream? Puck is in that and he is everything a puck in ice hockey is. He is an unpredictable little scamp that shows up wherever he wants and flits from one person to the next and you never know what he is going to do next. Sound familiar?

PS I am aware the pic above is not from the game. It was the only action pic I could find.

PPS Of course I found one right after I wrote the PS and here it is

No comments: