Tuesday, September 1, 2009

It's About Time, It's About Space

On vacation, my son and his friend were telling me about how if you go out in space for a long time when you come back you are significantly younger than your peers would be. So, in other words, I would come back younger than my sister and my husband, etc.
On the other hand, when you travel in space, studies show that the strain of the solitude and the close quarters(why I would NEVER be in space), that astronauts age more than the average person would. You know, kinda like the President of the USA.
So, it made me wonder, why would you want to go into space if you come back looking younger but feeling like an old fart?? I mean, it would be fun to be the younger one for a change but the trade off seems pretty steep to me.
It kind of made me think of Rip Van Winkle, you know the guy who fell asleep for like fifty years and when he came home nobody knew who he was? That story always made me get creeped out when I was a kid.
Or those guys in the old TV show It's About Time. They ended up back with the cavemen!!
So in order to be younger you have to feel older....well, I don't think so. I think I'll stay right here on good old planet Earth and let it do its worst to me and take my chances!! Older and younger is enough of a challenge here.

No comments: