Thursday, November 12, 2009

Angels Among Us


If you don't believe in angels then you probably shouldn't bother to read this. There was a time that I didn't believe in angels and then I got hit in the face with a butterfly and my whole life changed.
There are angels among us. If I see a monarch butterfly, I know my dad is saying hello. I have to be careful not to say "Hi, Dad" out loud so nobody thinks I am crazier than they already think I am.
If I see a white feather in an unexpected place, I know my mom is sending a shout out to me. We saw one in Vegas and a tiny orange and black butterfly too. Only once. Totally unexpected. My sister and I. My cousin.
On the plane on the way home my dad stopped by to say hello too. That hardly ever happens. I felt him more than saw him but I almost saw him. He gave me a little kiss on the forehead and I startled awake. I had been in a half dozy state. His presence almost enveloped me before I knew it was him. It was, I'm telling you. I'd know my dad anywhere.
Once I "saw" my dad and my father-in-law in church. They just stood behind us and I could feel how proud of us they were. Even guys who don't share feelings well get good at it when they reach angel status.
If you are aware and quiet and watchful, your angels will touch you too. Really.

No comments: