Monday, August 18, 2008

Me and Bobby K

When I was in the sixth grade...oh, wait this is a very self indulgent entry so if you don't want to you don't have to read it. Anyway, when I was in the sixth grade, the school sponsored a sixth grade dance to which the boys invited the girls. We had dance lessons in the gym and everything. My mom was going to make me a dress with daisies sewn on it. It was beautiful and I could not wait to wear it.
Now I bet you think I am going to say nobody asked me to go. Well, you would be wrong. I wanted to go with Bobby K. I wanted him to ask me so badly I couldn't see straight. He was the one for me--I don't remember why except he had cute freckles and that might just be my old memory playing tricks on me. I waited as the boys started asking the girls and Bobby never asked me. He was really shy and was taking his sweet time about it. My teacher must have known I wanted to go with him(I may have even told her) and I remember her sympathetic looks. She probably wanted to grab him by the collar and say ask the poor thing already!!! but she didn't to her credit!!
Brucie H. asked me instead and I had a broken heart until I got him to un-ask me and ask my best friend Donna D. instead so I would still be there for Bobby. Two long days later he finally asked me and that's all I remember of that dance except that I danced once with the male sixth grade teacher who was a grown up heartthrob!!!
Anyway, in spite of all this drama, and my lack of memories from the dance, I always considered Bobby my first boyfriend.
Many years later, I had a student teacher with the same last name as Bobby and as she lived in the same area I assumed she was related to Bobby but she wasn't. SO when I met my son's friend Marc(with that same last name) I never bothered to ask assuming that it was a much more common name than I had thought.
Well, Marc got married last night and I was telling his father(who I never met before) about the coincidences of the last name thing and he says "My brother's Bob and there he is and I turned around and lo! and Behold!! there is my old flame, Bobby from the sixth grade. He looked a little stunned as he had no idea why his brother was talking about him to a stranger until I told him who I was and then he looked even more stunned. He did give me a hug(be still my little sixth grade heart) and said it was good to see me and of course he remembered going to the dance with me.
When we left, I went by Bobby and said goodbye and gave him a little kiss on the cheek. It was an impulse but it did fulfill a life's dream...........I kissed Bobby K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh, my, I felt silly that I did it but I was glad too. My husband couldn't stop laughing and even offered to take a picture of the two of us but I said no thanks and punched him in the arm for good measure.
Bobby has gray hair and no freckles and is still pretty shy. He was the only guy in the room that I knew could dance for sure but he didn't get his wife out there. Oh well, I guess once you dance with me(in my daisy dress) there is just no comparison!!

No comments: