Wednesday, October 29, 2008

To Sew or Not to Sew

About three years ago I broke my sewing machine. I hadn't used it in a really long time and I wanted to make some doll clothes for my niece. I got it all ready(or so I thought) and by the third stitch the entire workings were jammed with thread and the needle was broken into the feeddog. If you don't know from sewing machines, trust me it is a big fat mess!!!!! I could have taken it to the local repair shop but instead I disgustedly put it in the closet and said to myself, I am never sewing again! And I haven't.
SO last night I got a call from my son asking me to help with his costume for a Halloween party. He is going to be Little John from Robin Hood. So guess what? Am I brushing off the old sewing machine and running to the repair shop?? Not on your life!! Can you say felt and glue gun?? I think we can come up with something pretty easily. I will let you know how it turns out.
I used to make vests by the dozens and sell them at craft fairs. I used to participate in craft fairs and had the joy of sitting there and watching people admire your work and say how cute it is and then walk away. I never made very much at any of those sales. Oh, a little bit. I always covered the expense of my table but that was about it. I thought I would strike it rich with my good ideas but nope.
So now I just go to craft sales and look at the stuff and say how cute and walk away. It is kind of fun. I haven't been in a while because I would look at the stuff and think that I could do that(even better). So this year my best friend and I decided to try again. We are going next Saturday to a couple. I wonder if I'll buy anything??
I was going to participate in a craft sale this year but after I bought the stuff to make my angels(they are really beautiful) I kept looking at the bag in the back seat of my car and I didn't feel excited or happy about them, just like it looked like a load of work. So I dropped out and took the darn things back to Pat Catan's. It was like the weight of the world dropped off my shoulders. So I guess my craft show days are officially over and done with.
This winter I will go back to my newest craft project--scrapbooking and finish a couple of projects I let slide when the weather got nice. I am not letting myself buy any more scrapbook stuff as I have a giant load of it and have to use it up. I even gave a ton to my niece. I could almost open my own store!! So I will embellish to the hilt even though I know less is more.
But for now I have to concentrate on Little John..I mean, Brian's costume. I've come a long way since I turned him into C3PO when he was 3...didn't have a sewing machine then either!

No comments: