Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Apples and Oranges II

Well, you already know how I feel about comparing apples and oranges but here we go again. On the show, Britain's Got Talent. the two finalists were Susan Boyle, now famous for her lovely voice and not so lovely countenance and a dance group called Diversity.
Susan Boyle sings classic songs and just stands there. Diversity sure doesn't just stand there and there is a whole slew of them jumping around the stage in a magnificent way. They even have a little cutie who is pretty captivating. I think he is a boy but I could be wrong.
Now if in Britain, like America, mostly young kids watch this show, I think Susan didn't have a snowball's chance in hell of winning. I don't think she would appeal that much to the under 40 set but I am just guessing here. Maybe British teenagers are different. Diversity had a lot more appeal to the younger viewer as far as I could tell.
The grand prize is a performance in front of the Queen. Now I am guessing that the Queen may have enjoyed Susan Boyle more than the dance troupe but I'm sure she is a trouper and will enjoy Diversity to the best of her ability. After all she has been Queen for an awfully long time and she has had to suffer through worse things. Not that I think the dancers are bad. Far from it, the little bit I saw was remarkable--I'm just thinking of an old lady's preference. Sorry, your majesty, for the "old lady" but even you admitted to being long lived.
Anyway, Susan and Diversity had nothing in common, except they were on the same show. In fact, it was worse than Chris and Adam--at least they were both young and they both sang. I'm glad I didn't have to choose the winner of this one. This was worse than apples and oranges it was more like apples and....um.......chairs!

No comments: