Saturday, September 21, 2013

Dearest Daughter

Dear DD,

One of the happiest moments of my life was when I found out I had a little girl.  You know, at first they said you were a boy!  Ha!  Not likely.  My doctor was totally disgusted with whoever said that and said, Oh, no, she's a girl!( He didn't call the person stupid but it was really really implied)
Well, you turned out to be one of the loves of my life.  I can still see you running through our back yard to the swings with your little blond curls bouncing in the sunshine. 
I remember the watermelon trip.  Nobody before or since has ever hung on to my leg that hard.  It was quite the workout.   Luckily, Joanie still speaks to both of us.
I remember cutting out the teeny weeny accessories for your American Girl paper dolls while you were in surgery for your hand.  Never prayed so hard in my life.
Wow, remember when you were in your first play?  You were so nervous but it worked out that it enhanced your character to look a little fidgety. Or when you won the award for the most participation in school clubs. I should have gotten that award for sitting in the parking lot waiting for you!  No iPhone to keep me busy back then.
You went far away for college but what fun I had visiting you.  Remember Pat the Bunny?  Oh, you got so mad at me for calling him that.  Or what about Carmen the Baldy? Now, that goes way back to kindergarten.
When you came home and worked at the day care we both knew it wasn't the life for you so I kicked you to the curb, not really, just to Vegas.  Now that was a place to visit!!
We had a long car trip together when you moved to your present home and we invented the game "Or"--  like Brad Pitt or George Clooney? And how we shopped all the way there.
I just want you to know how precious you are to me and  to wish you a happy birthday.  Don't worry--I won't mention any numbers.  LOL

No comments: