Monday, June 24, 2013

Taking Risks

You probably know who that guy is in the picture.  In case you've had your head in the sand, it's Nick Wallenda.  He crossed the Grand Canyon without a tether last night.
He was in the air for over 22 minutes.  He thanked Jesus about a million times as well he should have!  Oh, yes, and God too. Not as much as Jesus though.  He must have a strong faith indeed to do such a thing or is he just a crazy risk taker?
Well, he may have a strong faith but I think he is still a crazy risk taker.  We all talk about things that divide us.  Like men and women.  Blacks and Whites.  Republicans and Democrats.  Liberal and Conservative.  I could go on and on but you get the picture.  I think our biggest division is Risk Takers versus NonRisk takers. 
I am definitely in the non category.  I'll take the firm ground thanks very much.  No cruises or walking tightropes for me.  I get sick on the water and I can't even sit and watch the Grand Canyon crossing for more than two minutes at a time and I have to leave the room to get a deep breath.
Some may call us chickens.  Those are the risk takers.  You have to respect them because they are the dare devils, the first responders, the protectors.  We need risk takers in our world.
We need the non risk takers too.  They are the teachers and the patient waiters of the world.  They find contentment.
It probably sounds like a boring life to a risk taker and all I can say to that is, "Bawk, bawk."(that's supposed to be a chicken sound)

No comments: