Thursday, July 10, 2008

Ants on a Log

Ants on a Log was one of my kids' favorite treats when they were growing up. I even made it with my kindergartners for many years. It is so easy to make. First, you cut a celery stick in two pieces(or three), then you spread peanut butter in the indentation, and you put a few raisins on(for the ants). If you haven't guessed the celery is the log. That's it! Just eat it. Personally, I never ate one as (a) I hate raisins, (b) peanut butter in celery is not for me unless I am on the South Beach Diet and (c) I have watched kids prepare and eat it.
I hate ants too. Every spring we get a small infestation and my husband has to spray around the exterior of the house and then it stops. This year we didn't have one and I was so happy. Even though I kill them with ease and they are pretty harmless in general, I hate when they are around.
So, in the last couple of days, they have started up again. I have found 2 in the kitchen and about 6 in the family room. One was even crawling on my chest!!!!!!!!!!!!! EEW!!! I smooshed the ones in the family room with "Arnold" and that was pretty satisfying. I have been known to pick them up and just squish them in my fingers.(I know...gross) The one on my chest kind of freaked me out though. It was the biggest ant I've ever seen. I am not kidding it must have been almost a 1/2"!! OHMYGOSH!!!! I was completely freaked out. You would have never known it though as I was as calm as could be. You will have to take my word for it as I was alone at the time.
Anyway, my husband will spray and they will be gone and all will be forgotten until next spring. HMMM, why am I suddenly craving peanut butter and celery??

No comments: