Thursday, July 31, 2008

On the Down Low in Vegas

Well, I'm back from my vacation and I spent it in a wheelchair due to Arnold's size and my foot injury. Let me tell you it is not all it is cracked up to be--being in a wheelchair I mean.
First, I had a bird's eye view of every fanny in Vegas. Not a very pretty sight for the most part. And there were tons of them--it was really crowded!
I also have an intimate knowledge of every wastebasket/trashcan/ashtray in Harrah's. I tried to stay out of the way when I stopped and every out of the way corner had one of them. You can only look at so many ashes and cigarette butts on one vacation!
Did you know that most of the people who visit Las Vegas are blind?? What? Well, no one seemed to notice me. People walked in front of me, stopped dead in front of me, pushed in front of me, looked at me and then walked in front of me, walked straight at me....well, you probably have the picture.
In Vegas, you can rent a wheelchair. I was expecting a pretty nice one. Silly me! It was a standard wheelchair like the ones they push you in at the hospital. Note to Vegas: could you at least make them gold lame or something?? And how about a seat cushion with some padding? Let me tell you the bum is the first thing to go. I finally had to put a bed pillow on the seat so I could stand it. How about putting on some of those flashing lights for at night? And how about a horn? You know, for all those blind people who can't see you(that would be everyone).
I finally got the hang of pushing myself around to so I didn't have to rely on someone else to push me all the time. I got pretty good at it but the inclines up and down were a challenge that I needed my trusty drivers for. My nephew and my daughter turned out to be the best drivers for me and they got me around real well. My husband was a willing driver but he was a little too fast and close to those blind people for me.
There were some people who weren't blind. The kids. Yes, people actually bring their kids to Vegas. Kids in strollers were my comrades. They all looked at me and smiled and sometimes talked or waved. My favorite was at Circus, Circus where a little boy about 4 years old saw me out of the corner of his eye as his family was about to turn a corner. He took a giant step back and waved to me like we were old buddies or I was one of his favorite cartoon characters. It was real cute.
Anyway, no more vacations in wheelchairs for me if I can help it. I am either too stubborn or weakwilled to handle it--I'm not sure which!

No comments: