Thursday, March 12, 2009

Brown







Next Tuesday I am going to the hairdresser and I am dying my hair back to brown. It has been its natural gray for over a year now and I am getting tired of it. It is pretty and shiny and suits me but I always like to change my hair and this is the change I decided on.



I'm a little nervous about it. I'm not sure if I want it to be light brown or reddish brown or darkish brown. I'm sure Corrine(my stylist) will have some ideas and I trust her but I do want to decide for myself and not be a sheep about it.



I had brown hair when I was a girl and then at 15 started coloring it and never stopped until about 2 years ago. Even with my very short hair it took almost a year for all the color to grow out and the gray to appear completely. I've had blond hair, frosted hair, streaked hair, red hair, dark red hair and once I even had "Snow White" hair--you know, back as ebony. Not such a good look for me..I think you need skin as white as snow to pull that look off.



My face is pretty red. I have that rosacea stuff and it is hard to control. If you eat too many spicy foods or drink the wrong wine or eat too much fatty stuff and it can flare up with a vengeance. So red hair is O-U-T. I have enough red in my life(if you read yesterday's blog).



I'm not sure if the silvery part of my hair will come out lighter and look like highlights or if my hair will be all one color. If it is going to be just one color I might need highlights put in. Plus I am kind of growing my hair a little because I got tired of it being so short. I will never have long hair again because it is getting too thin as I get older and it looks pretty silly. I would love to grow it so long that I could make a chignon at the back of my head but I don't think I will be able to do that.



We had a great aunt who had a chignon and I thought she was the most beautiful woman. She always wore a hair net over it and sometimes it had little sparkles or pearls on it. She always wore a black dress when she was dressed up and I thought she was the height of sophistication. She always smelled really good too...a combination of floral, cigarette smoke and just a hint of alcohol on the breath. I was six. She was sixty. Just about the age I am now.



Anyway, if she was alive today I am sure she would be hip and would dye her hair and cut it and everything. So I am going to do it for her!...and for myself!!



No comments: