Monday, March 18, 2013

Day Six- Views on Mainstream Music

Today I am supposed to give my views on mainstream music.  Well, one look at my play list and you would know I have no problem with it.  Although I must say that I'm not exactly sure what is considered mainstream any more.
I do like Michael Buble, Jason Mraz, Carrie Underwood and Eminem.  Is that mainstream?  I think maybe it is.
I have a nephew who mashes songs together to make a new song.  I like a lot of his work too but I don't know if that is mainstream or not.  I'm  thinking not.
Anyway, I don't think you should look down your nose at anyone's taste in music.  It is a highly personal choice.  One man's symphony is another man's cacophony.
Believe me, I know this from personal experience.  My DH loves my Sirius radio and so do I.  I listen to oldies from the 60's and the 40's channel once in a while.  I love instrumentals and the 40's had a lot of those.
DH listens to something called Deep Tracks.  I call it Deep Sh*t.  It is like the songs from the Bside of the album, the third cut.  You know, the dogs.  He loves them and I hate them.
When we go on a car trip, the gloves really come off.  He is a little hard of hearing so he turns up the volume.  I try to use my ipod and the radio is so loud I can't really concentrate on my music.  So I turn it down.  He turns it up "just a little" to the exact same place it was.  So I turn it down.  He turns it up.  See where I'm going with this?
I love show tunes, DH loves Tommy.  I love the Beatles, DH loves Pink Floyd.
When we first met, I extolled the virtues of Barbra Streisand to him and he nodded and agreed with everything I said. I was so excited.  Finally, a man who could appreciate Babs who was straight!!  Well, truth is he was a little hard of hearing then too...and he was trying to impress me.
So like I said, music is really personal. Listen to what you like, mainstream or not.

No comments: