Monday, August 5, 2013

Stop Bugging Me II

Remember my little buddy, lost in the universe of my bathroom?  Well, he found himself a couple of friends.  It isn't a gnat or a midge or even an unknown, it is a fruit fly. 
How we got fruit flies is beyond me as we had no fruit in the house for a couple of days but whatever, that's what they are.
There's about four of them and they all hang out  in the bathroom. No kidding.
I decided I have to get rid of them now so I went to eHow and here's their advice.  I only put it out here because it cracked me up.
1
Clean your soda and beer cans with soap and water or put them in a sealed bag. Fruit flies love beer and soda, so doing this can really help.
  • 2
    Make a fruit fly flytrap by putting a small amount of red wine in a shallow dish, cover it with a plastic wrap, stretching and holding it with a rubber band. Pierce some holes on the cover. Attracted to wine, flies will crawl in and would not be able to escape. You can also use banana or apple cider vinegar as a substitute to wine.
  • Combine 1 pint milk, 1/4 lb raw sugar and 2 ounces ground pepper in a saucepan and simmer for 8-10 minutes. Pour it in a shallow dish and watch the flies attack and consequently suffocate.
  • 4
    Pour 1/4 cup white vinegar and a pinch of liquid dishwashing detergent in a cup. Slowly, add water till the bubbles reach the top of the cup. Fruit flies will be attracted and trapped to death.
  • 5
    Spray the house with diluted lemongrass oil. Just 10 drops of oil works well with 2 ounces of hot water. This can kill not only fruit flies but also spiders, ants and other creepy crawlers.
  • 6
    Hang fly strips with both their sides exposed to flies. Fruit flies will stick to the fly trap and perish.

  • Number 6 is my favorite because I just could picture my lovely home with fly traps hanging from the ceiling in the bathroom.  Quite an addition to my décor.
    I'm going to try one of these today.  I'm just not sure which one. 
    Well, I am sure I'm not using Number 6!

    No comments: