Monday, March 31, 2008

Monday, Monday

Monday morning and it's off to the races. I have such a busy schedule on Monday. It is grocery shopping day, laundry, mall walking, drugstore shopping, dusting and vacuuming day.
Then when Kevin gets home and says "what did you do today?" I will say "nothing much." What a liar! That is a ton of stuff to do in one day.
Why do we women so often put our daily accomplishments down as nothing much? I know I'm not the only one who does it. Doing the laundry alone is a big deal. Even when there are only two of you or one for that matter! It doesn't really give you a lot of time for sitting around. Sometimes I read a book during the wash cycles but usually I am dusting or sorting or folding, oh, you know!
Dusting is not that big of a deal. Then why do we all hate it so much? I'll tell you why. IT IS NEVER DONE!! A lot of housework is like that and I guess that is why it is such a(pardon the expression) chore. It kills me when I have just done a whole day's worth of laundry and I have to throw my undies in the hamper at the end of the day. Just like when you wash the dishes and then you go out in the family room and there is the one glass you overlooked!
Daily grind is a grind. I don't know anyone who goes around doing the house work singing and dancing. Oh, except Snow White and we all know how dumb she was. (after all, she did take an apple from a scary old witch) Most of us just take a deep breath and just do it. Kinda like NIKE. or is it Reebok?? You kinda put yourself on auto pilot and the next thing you know, you smell like Mr. Clean and you have gone through 6 Swiffers and as soon as somebody walks in the door it will all go to pot.
I knew being a housewife had its drawbacks. I never was one until I retired and I just knew I would take the time to do all the things I didn't have time for when I worked. My house would be spotlessly organized and I would be Mrs. Clean.(No relation to Mr. Clean. I just don't want a bald head and one earring) Well, it didn't work out quite that way.
You see, there are all those books I never had time to read. There are all the pictures I never put into scrapbooks. There are all the movies I never got to see. There are my soaps to finally catch up on and not get lost because I have to go back to work and then something major happens and I missed it. There are three hour lunches and drives to malls I never went to when I worked.
You can see I have been entirely too busy to be Mrs. Clean, so I have made peace with Mrs. Sortaclean.

No comments: