Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Sisters, sisters

I am listening to Angela Landsbury talk about her sister's battle with ALS, Lou Gehrig disease. She is using her fame and the accolades coming her way to do good. She wants her sister to be remembered and she wants her life to effect others in a positive way. It got me thinking about sisters.
A friend of mine and I were discussing our sisters recently. We both agreed we would never want to be very far away from them. The connection is so important to us we couldn't live in a world without it. We were talking about moving to another state and she said she could never do it because she wants to stay close to her sister. I will move wherever my sister wants to live.
I guess sisters can be annoying. Ours aren't. Maybe that's because there are just two of us. My friend only has one sister too. I guess when we were kids we had spats and problems but I don't remember any of them. I guess we've had our differences as adults too but I don't remember any of them very well.
A sister is more than a friend. Nobody else shares my experiences from childhood til now like she does. She knows all the dirt about me and chooses not to tell anyone else my shortcomings. She and I can laugh like nobody's business. We get each other's humor and usually the same things strike us funny. She can get me laughing so hard that I can hardly breathe and I love it!
A sister knows how much you weigh. Not even my husband knows that. If I lose I would tell him how much but the actual number I only share with my sister. I know I can tell her because she will never tell. We can talk about how it is so unfair that we can't have a piece of candy without feeling guilty or gaining a pound. We can tell each other what strategy works for us and not expect the other one to do the same thing.
A sister encourages you to use your talents. She's willing to tell you if you are doing a good job or if you aren't working up to your potential. She knows what you are capable of. She knows what makes you happy. She will tell you when you are making yourself miserable.
I guess that is what Angela Landsbury felt for her sister and how much she must miss her. Nobody wants to lose their sister. I guess you always hope you will go first.
Now I know not all sisters have this relationship. How sad for the women who can't appreciate this special bond. I don't know what could possibly get in the way because fortunately for me, my sister and I are forever friends.

1 comment:

beth said...

Never forget to be glad, sweetheart, that you HAVE a sister........