Friday, July 12, 2013

Listeria Hysteria

Up until yesterday, I was blissfully unaware of listeria.  I read about it on Facebook and learned all about it from Cleveland Clinic Children's Hospital.  They post facts for parents that they should be aware of.
Listeria is a bacteria that lives on produce and meat.  You need to scrub your produce and if your meat leaks in the fridge it needs to be cleaned up.  Why anyone would not clean up meat juice immediately is beyond me but whatever.
I didn't even finish reading before I shot out of my seat and ran to the kitchen, grabbed rags, hot water, soap and for good measure, disinfectant wipes and got to work scrubbing out the whole fridge.
I mean I never heard of this before.  I could have had a listeria convention in there.  It took me about forty five minutes but after I was done, believe me, there isn't a bacteria in there!
I found it ironic that something I never even heard of had the potential to make us sick.  There are probably lots of other things I'm unaware of and will hear about some day. 
In the meantime, I hope I don't kill us!

No comments: