Tuesday, July 23, 2013

The Collector

I have a doll collection.  This picture is not it.  I have Barbies, Nancy Ann Storybook dolls, Gene, Betsy McCall and Tyler Wentworth.  I have Mary Hartline and Baby Susie.  Why do I have all these dolls? 
What makes us collect things anyway?  It might be a little of the hoarding instinct that some people take to the extreme.  Hoarding is an illness unless it is controlled, then it is a collection.  See?
Nostalgia has a lot to do with it.  That Mary Hartline doll reminds me of how I loved her when I was about five years old.  I even had a Mary Hartline majorette outfit.  I wore it all the time.  When I researched Mary recently, I found this picture.
 That's it!  She's wearing my dress.
I used to collect cows.  I know why that happened.  I told my Sis that I would like to be reincarnated as a cow.  All they have to do all day is chew their cud and be milked.  Since at the time I was a working mom who was so busy it sounded like the life of Riley to me.   She bought me a cow and the rest is history.  I told my friends the story and they all bought be cows.  I had so many cows it got ridiculous but it still didn't stop.   After someone told me that every time they saw a cow, they thought of me, I announced the end of my collecting.  Really, do you blame me?
I don't collect anything any more.  I guess I don't have any more obsessions.  What?  What do you mean what about all the scrapbooking stuff in the closet and cupboard
up in my "office"??  What stuff?
 


No comments: