Wednesday, July 17, 2013

The Life of a Child

How much should a child's life be worth?  A life given for a life taken?  A long prison sentence to live with what you have done?  A million dollar payment?  Community service with young people?  In Florida, apparently the answer is none of the above.
I don't know what happened between Trayvon Martin and George Zimmerman. I just know I don't think anyone should shoot an unarmed child.  Even if he is beating you up.  Even if he is a punk or a thug. No adult should shoot an unarmed child.  I can't say that enough.
I don't know if I think George Zimmerman deserves to die but I do think he needs to have to pay the price for the taking of Trayvon's life.  I find it hard to believe that he had to shoot to kill in order to save himself.  I keep wondering why he didn't just shoot a warning shot or hit the kid in the shoulder or the leg?  Why a killing shot?
I am willing to concede that perhaps George Zimmerman was not a practiced shot or any kind of sharp shooter. That only makes me more suspicious.
Trayvon Martin may not have been a golden child.  Maybe he was even a thug.  I don't know.  I do know he was a child, a teenage child.  He probably had his hood pulled way down and he was probably hunched over a bit as teens tend to do.  He may even have looked menacing. He may have been belligerent.  HE WAS A CHILD!!
There will be a civil suit in this case and we will hear about the whole incident again.  I still won't  pass judgement on either the man or the boy.  I just have to be an advocate for  Trayvon.  He was a CHILD!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: