Sunday, June 8, 2008

And the Triple Crown Winner is...

Not poor Big Brown. Something happened to that poor horse yesterday and he couldn't force himself to truly run the race. He got kind of squeezed between two horses at the fence and I think he got scared. I don't know much about horses but I do know a lot about kids and isn't the poor dear like three years old?? I think he got scared by the other horses. Luckily, his rider is a good man and jockey and didn't force him to race. They came in dead last. One of the announcers made some oblique crack about the heat of the day and true champions but that was unfair and just plain mean if you ask me. Big Brown is beautiful and smart and made his owners a lot of money. He is not the first horse to lose the triple crown nor will he be the last. It doesn't demean his abilities that he didn't.
The real triple crown winner yesterday was ME! Yes, it's true. I went to my work out. I decided not to swim as I somehow cranked my elbow(I may have mentioned it before) and I just didn't feel that swimming was doing it for me so I have started on the machines. Yesterday I did the step machine(OHMYGOSH) for ten minutes, the treadmill fro 20 minutes and the stationary bike for 10 minutes. It was fabulous...I was so proud of myself. I was a giant sweatball but that was ok, the Y has showers.
While I was sweating my way to the triple crown, another winner was on one of the 6 televisons. Luckily I had remembered my earphones so I was able to listen to Hillary Clinton's concession speech(at least part of it). Now don't think I am such a political admirer, my other choices were a baseball game, a tribute to Jim McKay(may he rest in peace), a decorating show on HGTV, the four millionth airing of You've Got Mail or some guys who were floating around in water for the entire time I was in the gym. So I went for the most interesting choice.
Mrs. Clinton was gracious and poised and intense. She thanked her supporters and talked about some individuals including a little girl from our area who worked on her campaign using the money she had saved for a trip to Disneyworld. She threw herself enthusiastically behind her "friend" Obama(HUH?) and talked about how fortunate she was to have worked with him in the Senate for the last four years(Hey, wait, what happened to he has no experience?) She chuckled over the excellent debates they had(What the...?) and told everyone they should support him in his run for the White House even though it would be DIFFICULT(now that's more like it) and we would have to work HARD to Do it (now that's more like it!) She said she would always be at the forefront fighting for the unions and all her supporters(maybe right next to Obama as VEEP??) and everyone cheered and there were balloons! It was a great speech.
I really do admire Hillary(in spite of all my cracks about her wardrobe). She is the first woman to have made a viable run for the candidacy of President of the USA, her political past didn't ruin her chances for people's votes and she made a gracious exit(although many think it came a little late). In my book that is a triple crown win!!!

No comments: