Sunday, June 1, 2008

Take Me Out to the Ball Game

We went out to dinner yesterday and while we were waiting for the food to arrive I got distracted by ESPN. They were airing the NCAA World Series of Women's Fast Pitch Soft Ball. Did you ever see one of those fast pitch games?? They are the most amazing things. The pitcher winds her arm around in a big circle and hurls the ball over the plate. I can never believe that the whole person doesn't go flying with it or at least the person should fall down. BUT THEY NEVER DO!

The first time I saw fast pitch softball was when my brotherinlaw played back in the day. Besides enjoying the cute looking boys on his team, the pitching always fascinated me. I still can't believe that anyone ever hits the darn thing but they do. If I was up at bat I wouldn't be able to take my eyes off the pitcher(for the aforementioned reasons).

I guess I never thought I would see young girls playing the same game. They were serious as heart attacks too. It was Fla. and USC and the girls high fived and the catcher had on a helmet that was a cross between a football helmet and a baseball cap. The pitcher for USC had quite an arm on her and when she was in the dugout a coach was warming up her arm with stimulating massage to keep it loose. The pitcher for Fla had a bow in her hair(how cute is that?) but she was a dynamo too.
In between the innings they showed the girls up close and personal and they were all cute and sweet and self conscious and looked about twelve but out on that field they were pros--all the way. I don't know who won but in a way they all did. I found out that this was the league where the girls of the opposing team carried the runner around the bases after she was injured. So in my book they were all winners!

No comments: