Thursday, April 3, 2008

Mammogram Day

Yesterday was my mammogram day. I also had a sonogram of my kidneys done. No worries. Just scheduled for the same day so I didn't have to go twice. Smart move. I had to go into radiology and change my clothes. Standard operating procedure. They gave me a gown and a robe. That is unusual and it is really nice. Very private, if you know what I mean.
I wore jeans and red socks and camel loafers. I wore a sweater in case it was cold in the hospital.
I looked nice because I had other things to do later in the day.
Then I made a fatal mistake. I looked in the full length mirror. Oh my gosh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was now wearing a hospital gown and robe and red short socks and loafers(with kitten heels no less).
How could I possibly leave the dressing room looking like that? I thought of taking off the socks but then my feet would stick inside the shoes. I hate that. I couldn't go barefoot because the nurse said to wear my socks and shoes. Oh, well. Things could be worse.
THEY WERE!! I made the mistake of checking out my legs. Is there a color that is whiter than white? That is the color of my legs. And skinny!!!!!! Little chicken legs sticking out of that huge gown and robe(one size fits all)! Now I really didn't want to go out to the waiting room.
Nobody else had on a robe and gown. Just me. But I had to go.
In the waiting room, I thought I saw a few smirks but I ignored them. The other women just sat quietly watching TV. I decided that was a good idea as I would have an hour between my two tests. I put my attention on the show and it was ESPN.
Now I don't mind sports. I love football and sometimes I even love baseball. I can watch any sport for a while and enjoy it. But watching scores and recaps for an hour is not my idea of fun. This day was already going to be not much fun so I decided to change the channel.
I asked the other women if they minded and one looked so relieved and said Please. So my white legs and I crossed the room and changed to the Today Show. All the others smiled and I felt better about my appearance because I was still me. I had the guts to change the channel. If someone had said no I think I would have picked up a magazine but nobody did. Those women were going to sit there and watch ESPN even though they didn't want to!
SO my point is I guess I don't really care that I have skinny,white chicken legs as long as I have the courage to change the channel!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Courage to change the channel"- I love that... and I'm pretty sure it's one of the best things I ever got from you. :)