Friday, April 11, 2008

The Tie That Binds

Yesterday we hosted a happy hour for our daughter's friends. They were a lovely bunch of young people who were polite and acted interested in what we had to say. At first, things were a little awkward as we were all strangers to one another. In spite of my daughter's many stories about them it is just not the same as really talking to someone.
I don't do well with small talk and neither does my husband so it was a little quiet and I thought the ice might not get broken. After all, we are the same age as these kids' parents and we don't have much in common. Or so I thought.
My many years of watching television finally came in handy. We met a Lost fan, Battlestar Gallactica fans, people who watch Torchwood(BBC SciFi), a MASH fan, and even a Meerkat Manor fan. Suddenly we could share our favorite characters and what we thought was likely to happen. We could talk about who was pretty, who was a bad guy and why we liked a certain part of the story or a certain person. We could ask people how they could even watch certain shows.
We may have come to common ground no matter what but the old boob tube made the conversation more lively right away. There wasn't a person in the room that didn't have a "guilty pleasure" that they watched from Dancing With the Stars to my own personal favorite, REBA. ( I know, I know)
We shared laughs and food and drink and got to know each other a little better. So, thanks CBS, ABC, NBC, BBC, SciFi channel and yes, even you, Lifetime. You helped me make some new friends and I appreciate it.

No comments: