Saturday, April 26, 2008

Movin' On Up

My son just moved into an apartment on W. 9th street. Until today, I had no idea where that even was. He could have moved to a completely different state as far as I was concerned. I am not good at directions and have never spent any time downtown or in the Flats or anywhere that was cool when I was younger. I pretty much stuck to the suburbs. It is a practice I continue to this day.
As you go downtown, you pass many little suburbs but the one that always catches my attention is the community of Euclid. Euclid is where I grew up and worked and I have a strong affection for it. However, the freeway now has sound barriers for the people who live near it and it looks like jail!!!!!!! Honest, Willowick or Wickliffe(I am never sure what community it is right there at the freeway) has pretty red brick with little insets with cranes and foliage. Really nice. Euclid has a little bit of that too but the majority is gray cement panels. Yuck!
I think Euclid civic leaders and art teachers should get together and have the talented art students of the city paint those babies. It could be unique and beautiful. Even if they went the graffiti art route, it would be a nice reflection of the culture of the city. Some students can be extremely able artists and their talent could stand up against some professionals.
Wouldn't that be an ego boost for the students and a perk for the community? Oh the police would have to cooperate too and put up orange barrels in the right hand lane so the kids would be safe but we do that all the time for construction so it shouldn't be a big deal.
It would be a sign of a proud community. It would be a cooperative venture among the civic leaders, teachers, and citizens of the city. I personally am all for it!!!(like they care what I think)
So next time you drive that stretch of freeway, imagine how it would look. Bet you would think it's a good idea too.

No comments: