Monday, April 8, 2013

A Quote I Try To Live By

First, Do No Harm.
I'm no doctor and I don't play one on television but this has always spoken to me.  As a teacher, I wanted to enhance and enrich children's lives and never, never do anything to undermine their self esteem or faith in their abilities.
I think all teachers should have to take that oath, just like doctors.
As a mom, I wanted to make sure that I supported my children and helped them to set up boundaries and standards for themselves.  I wanted them to be strong and confidant adults.
As a person, I want to give people the benefit of the doubt.  It is really hard for me and I have to work at it.  I have 100% tolerance for children and their quirks and zero tolerance for adults.  I know it isn't fair but that's how I am.
I would never dream of doing physical harm to anyone although once in a while I wish I drove a tank so I could just tap the bumper of someone who cut me off and do no harm to my own car.
The more I think of it, we should all adopt this idea for ourselves.  Just think if Kim Jung On would think this we wouldn't be worried about their nuclear weapons.  He would just put them away.  People who buy guns with intent to kill, just wouldn't.
I know this is a rose-colored view of the world but wouldn't it be nice if it was true?

No comments: