Wednesday, April 17, 2013

I'm Shy

If you know me, you are probably laughing your ass off now.  How in the world could I say I am shy?
In my professional life, I was always outgoing and opinionated and made new friends easily.  I got along well with my colleagues and parents for the most part because nobody can get along with everybody.  I was a speaker to parent and teacher groups.  I had confidence and pride in my work.  Shy would be the last word you would think of when you thought of me.
However, on a social plane I am the complete opposite.  I have a really hard time meeting new people.  I don't know what to say after hello and nice to meet you.  My brain freezes up and I feel like anything I say is going to be stupid.
DH is the same way.  You'd never believe it of him either because he is big and has a booming voice and commands attention because of his size.  Ask him to meet someone new and he just doesn't know what to do either.
Now give us a little glass of wine or other spirits and we are less shy but still feel nervous and it's really not a good idea to drink before you meet new people.  It's not a good idea to drink before you have to hang out with someone you don't really like either but that's another story.
When our kids were little, they did not suffer from this malady.  So, excellent parents, that we were, we would push them into the room of strangers and follow behind them saying we're their parents and smiling a lot.  My kids could talk to anyone.  They were friendly and outgoing, smart and cute as buttons.  It worked for us for a long time....like til they went to college.
Once again we were on our own and frankly, our circle of new friends diminished rapidly.  We rarely go anywhere where we meet new people.
So, this weekend, we have to meet our son's girl's parents.  OMG!  We are both pretty nervous about it.  Luckily, the girlfriend is a chatty little thing so they probably won't notice if we are a little quiet or awkward.  And luckily, wine will definitely be involved.  We have to get to know them because I'm pretty sure those kids are headed to the altar.
So, wish us luck.  DH and I will survive and hopefully, not be big bomb outs.
He and I will be clutching hands under the table...until we have enough wine!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

"It's not a good idea to drink before you have to hang out with someone you don't really like either but that's another story."

This is my favorite line. I think you should write THAT blog post!! ;)