Monday, April 1, 2013

Day 20 My Fears

Who, me scared???  I think I established that I was the little old lady who wasn't afraid of anything.  But you aren't kindergartners, now are you?  SO I guess I have to come clean.  I am afraid of a few things.
I hate scary movies.  Don't like to see them, not even the trailers at the theater or on television.  I know it's not real but I can't help it.  It just looks so real.
I'm afraid of Alzheimer's.  We all should be.  The statistics show that 1 in 3 seniors will have some sort of dementia.  I try to keep my brain active and get into new and challenging situations so I have to exercise my brain as well as my body.  Have you ever known someone with Alzheimer's?  It isn't pretty.  It's like progressing backwards.  First you are like a child, then a toddler and finally a helpless baby.  No thank you.
I'm afraid of where this world is heading.  I want a world where kindness is regarded as the norm.  I want a world where every individual is respected.  I want a world where no one is starving or dying from lack of medicine.  I want a world where rich people help poor people in their own neighborhood and across the world.  I don't see this happening and that saddens me and frightens me.
Being afraid all the time is counterproductive so I try to bury me fears and follow the very good advice, "Keep Calm and Carry On".

No comments: