Thursday, April 18, 2013

All You Need Is Love

According to something I read on Facebook, the Beatles used the word love 614 times in their songs.  Ironic, isn't it? Considering the giant rift and all the anger between John and Paul when they finally broke up.  Anyway, I digress.
Love happens to be the most important thing in the world.  We just don't survive without it.  It could be romantic love but it doesn't have to be.  The love from your family or a best friend or even a pet is just as important.  You even need to love yourself.
For me, loving myself is difficult.  It seems so impolite somehow.  We were raised not to show off or think to highly of oneself.  Any flaws I had were handily pointed out and I took that and ran with it.  I can be self deprecating like a pro.
I am still working on it.  When there is something that asks what you like about yourself, I really have to spend time thinking about it.
Romantic love gave me a hard time too.  Too many Cary Grant movies and happily ever after stories or stories where when the man leaves, there is another one waiting breathlessly in the wings.  Guess what I found out?  Not true, at least not for me.
I thought a man had to sweep you off your feet and say glorious things to you and buy you fancy gifts and wine and dine you.  I found out that a man who sticks by you and helps you raise your family and holds your hand when you cross the street, that's THE guy.
My DH doesn't have flowery words or grand gestures.  Sometimes he even falls asleep right in front of me in the evening while we watch a show.  But, he always compliments dinner(even if it is a flop), holds my hand in public, cleans up after dinner because I cooked, irons his own clothes and hasn't strangled me yet for sleeping for the last thirteen years while he slogs off to work!  He supports my decisions and gets my sense of humor.
Now, that's love and it's all I need.

No comments: