Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Final Enlightenment

Well, I watched the last show about Eckhart Tolle's The New Earth. Remember when I said I thought he was from another planet? I might be right. He says he is 60 years old. I told you he doesn't have a wrinkle on his face. I guess that is because he is so enlightened! I also saw a picture of him and his partner, Kim. She is probably his girlfriend also but they never really said on the show and I haven't read the O article either. My best guess is that he wouldn't tell even if she was. Wonder what it would be like to be his girlfriend. I'm betting it is kinda boring. Well, he is a little boring having little emotional output.
So what did I learn beside that? Well, I learned that we need to let go of the past. I am willing to do that as the past is not all it's cracked up to be. My kids always tell me I worry too much about the past so I am trying hard to let go.
I am also trying not to worry and carry a burden around with me all the time. That is a little easier as the kids are grown now so they are less "worrisome" than they used to be. I listen to what they have to say and I do give advice but I don't really expect them to take it.
Let's see. I learned that everyone has a pain body. Why do we let ourselves think that we are the only one going through a hard time?? Everyone has some kind of pain in their life a lot of the time. It's how we handle it that is important. Even that we handle it at all is important instead of expecting someone else to fix it for us or to share our pain. That isn't why we're here.
I'm not saying you never need to unburden. Sometimes you do and if you are lucky someone will listen willingly. If not you can pay someone to listen. But you have to deal with it-- not someone else.
I also learned that there is more to me than just this little mortal "husk". I learned that expression in a Johnny Appleseed cartoon years ago. The angel that takes him to heaven tells him that. )"Oh that's just your husk, John, your mortal husk") I like the idea of being more than just this body and these thoughts. It was thrilling to realize there is more to me (and you...yes, you) than meets the eye.
The challenge now is to take what I learned and apply it to my daily life. If I have troubles I want to put them into perspective. I want to appreciate everything I have and am capable of doing. I want to see the good in others (yes, even John McCain-- although that will be hard).
So enlightenment hasn't been half bad. The next time you see me maybe a little of the light will shine out on you!

No comments: