Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Girls, Girls, Girls


There is nothing like a good girlfriend. I have several and I feel blessed indeed. Some of them I see frequently, some of them not as often as I would like. Some I have known for a long, long time and others I have met recently.
Some of them are in the same age group as I am. Some of them are older and others are younger. They don't all know each other although some do.
I am lucky that among them I can count my sister, my daughter and my cousin. We share a bond that cannot be broken. The genes shared between us makes us alike and different but with a history that no one else can share. Not all woman relatives manage to have a friendship too. That is so sad for them. It is fun to reminisce and analyze the past. It is fun to see who remembers which events and what they thought of all the relatives that have passed on before us. They are the ones you can truly bare your soul to and not be judged.
One friend I have had since college. She and I don't see one another very often as our lives have taken such different paths. She is already a gramma and I haven't even got married children. She lives pretty far from me so meeting for lunch or dinner is a planned event not a spur of the moment thing. She and I had many "adventures" during our college years and those cannot be replaced or forgotten. I might not see her for the longest time but our hearts are connected and when we meet again we just pick up where we left off.
My teaching friends bring fond memories and lots of funny stories. We not only shared our kids growing up but all the students around us and that makes for a lot of memories--mostly funny but some sad too. That school was like a family for so long that we all have a special bond.
My newest friends are my volunteer friends. They are the friends I am still discovering and getting to know better. They are the most diverse group too. You would never have thought we would all become such good friends but working toward a common goal(in this case helping kids who are in the hospital) seemed to bring us together fast and close.
I guess I am saying that I don't want to take any of my friends for granted. They all bring something to my table and for that I am eternally grateful.

No comments: