Friday, May 23, 2008

Where Does the Time Go?

So I am going to a retirement party tonight and I am looking forward to seeing old friends and colleagues. It got me to thinking about my retirement party. It was very nice--like a wedding reception-it was so elaborate. Six of us retired together so that is why they went whole hog. I even had a good time. I remember that the same weekend was my niece's first birthday party. We just went to her birthday party last weekend. Guess what? She's nine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How did that happen?
I went to lunch this week with a friend of mine and we met at 1:00. I hadn't seen her in a while so we had a lot to catch up on and ohmygosh when we checked the time it was almost 4:00!!!! It had only seemed like an hour at the most! I had to get to the grocery store and actually make some dinner so we wrapped things up. How did that happen?
I was talking to my daughter this week and thinking how happy I was that she was coming home this weekend. She lives so far away we don't get to see her often enough. Then I got to thinking she has lived away from home for almost three years now. How did that happen?
I was talking to my son this week. He is saving for a house and an opportunity came up that he wasn't sure he could take advantage of. He is very serious about moving to the downtown area as he loves the feel of the city. I couldn't help but think how he sat on our couch with his savings(money from selling toys at our garage sale) and waited to go buy a new Star Wars toy. How did that happen?
Time goes by so fast, doesn't it? Unless you are a six year old waiting for Christmas or your birthday. I sometimes think I didn't really appreciate all the time that has passed. Then I remember what I learned from Ekhart Tolle. I try to appreciate fully the now. How did that happen????

No comments: