Sunday, May 25, 2008

My Heart is Full

My kids are both home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It doesn't happen but about twice a year (if we are lucky) so I am pretty much in heaven. My daughter looks wonderful and happy. My son looks great and is happy. SO, I'm happy.
The most important goal for a mother is that her kids are safe, secure and happy. Even when they are grown, especially then. My kids have good jobs, opportunities for advancement, good friends and lovely homes.
It is really hard to let them go though. I still want to tell them what to do and my tongue sometimes gets sore from biting it. But I think back to when I was their age and think "who told me what to do?" And, frankly, the answer is nobody. Maybe someone should have(haha) but they didn't. And I sure wouldn't have listened to my mother.
Everyone has to make their own choices so they can grow and learn. That was a hard thing for me to swallow. I have been in charge of them (and hundreds of other kids) my whole adult life. To take a backseat role was a lesson I had to learn.
Actually, enlightenment class helped me a little in that regard. My kids aren't that old so I am not an old hand at keeping still. I still give my opinion but I try to do it with no ulterior motive--like guilting them into doing what I want. So I try to give up my influence and exchange it for trust and openness.
And you know what, I think it's working!

No comments: